Monday 30 July 2012

Swiss miss

Many months ago when I was at fit as a whippet, I entered the Swiss Alpine marathon. It's actually a series of events from K10 (for 10km) up to K78. Oh yes. I entered the C42 - the easy version of the marathon. I think C stands for custard.

Anyway having been quite poorly recently I'd not trained at all I'd decided to do some latter distance. The half marathon (K21) was as hilly as the Alps could be. The K30 was just the marathon without the downhill on it. The walking event insisted you take walking poles and was instantly out of the question. So the K10 it was. Race strategy, jog slowly over the start and finish when people were watching, walk everything in between.

I forgot this strategy and walked the start due to congestion we all walked the first 8 minutes of uphill and then pushed past to finish 69th woman out of 233 odd. How very pleasing.

Cool things about running in the Swiss Alps.

  • Beautiful scenery. And I mean ooh wow look at that scenery. 
  • Small children and grown ups with massive cow bells ringing them at you. 
  • Alcohol free beer at the finish line. 
  • Catching a wee train to the start line. 
  • Starting in bright sunlight and finishing in torrrential rain and thunder
  • Running past a raclette and fondue house
  • Getting a very cool tshirt that you actually want to wear. 
  • Watching the K78s come in. 
  • 8 days of free travel with Swiss Rail. 
  • Watching Lizzie Hawker and other great runners finish. 
  • Finishing feeling really strong and wanting to do it all over again. 
  • I'd really recommend doing this event 

More Pics And how could you not want to do the K78 after watching this?

No comments:

Post a Comment